Exchange of Ideas and Experiences about Privacy and Data Protection
(Mexico City, 16 March 2012)
[mp3 - 157MB - 2:43:57]
The Federal Institute of Information Access and Data Protection (IFAI) and the consulting firm of Cedric Laurant Consulting have the pleasure to invite you to the Roundtable: Exchange of Ideas and Experiences about privacy and Data Protection, which will bring together Mexican, European and US civil society and non-profit organisations’ representatives. The event will be hosted by the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.
The event comes as a follow-up of the first gathering of civil society organisations that took place during the International Conference of Privacy and Data Protection Commissioners on 1st November 2011 in Mexico City.
- Strengthen the relationships between civil society organisations (CSOs) in Mexico, the European Union and the United States around the topic of privacy and data protection
- Discuss insights and experiences of US and European CSOs about the most useful strategies to establish a network of Mexican CSOs and individuals that would work on privacy and data protection, and would be connected with their counterparts from the European Union and the United States
- Discuss the first steps of the next meeting of civil society at the 34th International Conference of Privacy and Data Protection Commissioners that will take place in Uruguay in October 2012
Day and time: Friday 16 March 2012, 10:00 – 12:30 (GMT-6).
Venue: Institute of Legal Investigations, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (IIJ-UNAM), 1st floor, “Sala de Investigadores”. Circuito Mtro. Mario de la Cueva S/N, Ciudad de la Investigación en Humanidades, Ciudad Universitaria, Delegación Coyoacán, C.P. 04510, México, D. F., Tel: 5622 7474.
How to get there? http://www.juridicas.unam.mx/inst/ubicacion/
Translation: Simultaneous English-Spanish-English translation during the whole meeting.
Contacts: At Cedric Laurant Consulting: Cédric Laurant, Principal – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel.: +32 470 64 16 59. – At IFAI: Sergio Manuel López Menéndez, Director de Promoción y Vinculación con la Sociedad Organizada del IFAI. – Email: email@example.com – Tel.: +52 55 5004-2442. – At IIJ-UNAM: Korina Velázquez, e-mail: korina.velazquez [at] gmail [dot] com.
09:30 – Registration
09:50 - Introduction
Sergio Manuel López Menéndez, Director de Promoción y Vinculación con la Sociedad Organizada, Federal Institute of Information Access and Data Protection (IFAI) (Mexico)
10:00 – The experience of civil society organisations from the European Union and the United States in privacy and data protection in four areas: health, telecommunications, consumer protection and security
10:00-10:10 – Health
1. Deborah C. Peel, MD, Founder and President, Patient Privacy Rights (United States)
10:10-10:20 - Telecommunications
2. Caspar Bowden, Independent Privacy Advocate (European Union)
10:20-10:25 - Questions/Answers to speakers
10:25-10:35 - Consumer protection in the European Union
10:35-10:45 - Consumer protection in the United States
10:45-10:55 – Security
5. Ashkan Soltani, independent researcher and consultant on privacy, security, and behavioral economics issues (United States)
10:55-11:00 - Questions/Answers to speakers
11:00 – Successful experiences of European and US networks and coalitions working on privacy and data protection
11:00-11:10 – The experience of EDRi
11:10-11:15 – The experience of a German advocacy group on data retention in telecommunications
7. Patrick Breyer, co-founder of the Working Group against Data Retention (AK Vorratsdatenspeicherung) (European Union)
11:15-11:20 - Questions/Answers to speakers
11:20-11:30 – The experience of CSISAC
11:30-11:35 - Questions/Answers to speakers
11:35-11:45 - Experience of the Privacy Coalition in the United States
11:45-11:50 - Questions/Answers to speaker
11:50 – Presentation of the Guía de Privacidad para Hispanohablantes 2012 (Privacy Guide for Spanish Speakers 2012)
12:00 – Agenda proposal for the next Public Voice meeting of Civil Society at the upcoming 34th International Conference of Privacy and Data Protection Commissioners in Punta del Este, Uruguay, October 2012
12:00-12:10 – Explanation of the topics addressed in previous meetings; proposal and agenda discussion
12:10-12:15 - Follow up and coordination
12:15-12:30 – General Q&A session among Mexican CSOs
12:30 – End of meeting
Adriana Labardini, Al Consumidor, A.C.
Giovana Salazar, Al Consumidor, A.C.
Ezequiel ChávezTorres, ALAPSI (Asociación Latinoamericana de Profesionales en Seguridad Informática), A.C.
Ana Cristina Ruelas, Artículo 19 (México)
Gabriela Morales Martínez, Comisión de Derechos Humanos del D.F.
Benjamin Acosta, Consorcio para el Diálogo Parlamentario y la Equidad
Eduardo Arriaga Ramírez, GENDES, A.C.
María del Carmen Robledo, Instituto Nacional de Desarrollo Social
Joel Gómez Treviño, Lex Informática Abogados, Derecho Informático y Propiedad Intelectual, S.C.
Laura E. Martínez B., Observatorio de Mortalidad Materna en México
Edgardo Martínez, IFAI
Araceli Sara Pantoja García, IFAI